The magicJack Really Works!

You may have seen it on TV in Internet advertising, it’s called the magicJack, and it promises to give you unlimited long distance telephone calling through your computer for just $19.95 a year.

Last year I had the privilege of meeting Don Borislow, the inventor of this product at the Consumer Electronics show in Las Vegas. I tried the magicJack then and was impressed by both the product and the business plan. However, I was reluctant to recommend a product so new and so inexpensive. The magicJack sells for just $39.95 with the first year’s service included. Once you have the small magicJack device, you pay only $19.95 a year for service or five years for $59.95. Could Don keep his price point low? Could he deliver on his plan to give every magicJack a unique telephone to make and receive calls? Could he make this device as easy to use as it needed to be for the average user?

After watching the magicJack for over a year, I found the answer to these questions was a resounding “YES”, and I can now highly recommend the magicJack. It lets you make free local and long distance calls, gives you a distinctive telephone number, and even includes call waiting, voicemail, and caller ID.

The magicJack is a small device, approximately 1 ¼” x 3” x ½”. It has a USB port on one end and a place for a regular telephone cable on the other. To use it you simply turn on your computer, attach any regular telephone with a regular telephone cable, and plug the magicJack into the USB port on your computer. The computer automatically recognizes the magicJack and sets it up for you. You are then asked to fill out a form with your name, address , and email. At that time you also choose the telephone area code you would like and a unique telephone number is generated for you.

magicJack then sends you an email which you respond to in order to activate your magicJack. As soon as that is done you can start making and receiving calls. The entire setup process takes no longer than 20 minutes and the instructions are clear and easy-to-follow.

I tried the magicJack on several computers including Windows XP, Macs, and Windows Vista machines. It worked well on all, even the 64-bit computers. The only caveat is that the magicJack needs a good USB connection. I found that some of the time plugging it into the front USB ports did not work. It needed to be plugged into the back of the computer.

You can place calls through the easy magicJack window that appears on your computer when the magicJack is attached. You can also place and receive calls by simply picking up the handset. I set the magicJack up with my wireless phone system, so I can make and receive calls throughout the house. The calls have all been as clear as when I use a land line. BTY, you don’t need any telephone line for the magicJack. You just need a computer.

You will, however, need to have a high speed Internet connection like broadband, cable, DSL, wireless, Wi-Fi, or FIOS for the magicJack to work. You can only make and receive calls when your computer is on. However, if you turn the computer off, the magicJack voice mail will take a message for you.

If you have a laptop, you can travel with your magicJack and use it for no-cost calls from your hotel room. You can take it to any country in the world and make calls back to the US for free. The address that you give on the registration is used for 911 calls. Obviously, you won’t be able to use the magicJack for accurate 911 location-based calls if you take it on the road.

The magicJack is an amazing little device that can save you a lot of money. There is a 30-day money-back guarantee. You do need to give your credit card information when you order, but they don’t charge your card until the 31st day. So you have plenty of time to cancel without any hassle. I’d say, “Give the magicJack a try!” Click Here To Try a magicJack

nick s 16-08-2009, 15:45

hi, i just recently got magic jack. i seem to be having a problem. my friends and family can’t call my magic jack from a home phone line. i can’t seem to find any solutions to it, anyone have any ideas?

Sandy Berger 25-08-2009, 16:32

Answer to Pete:
Try using the default password which is 1234.

Sandy Berger 25-08-2009, 16:33

Answer to Jamie:

Anyone can call your MagicJack number whether or not they have a computer.

Josh 25-08-2009, 19:44

My MJ wont accept incoming calls. it just sends everyone to MJ voice mail. Whats the deal.

Sandy Berger 25-08-2009, 20:02

The first thing that I would do is to try a different telephone. If that does not solve the problem, magicJack has an FAQ that will take you through trouble-shooting that problem. Go to, click on FAQ/Knowledge base and type in “No incoming calls”.

gene 30-08-2009, 22:55

Hope this link helps some of you!

Gene 01-09-2009, 00:37

After contacting FCC, my MJ is working just fine! Now accepting local calls!

Sandy Berger 01-09-2009, 08:55

Now isn’t that interesting! Gene, why don’t you let us know exactly who you contacted in case someone else has that problem.

Gene 01-09-2009, 21:44

Just google FCC find the number and talk to whomever answers the phone! You have to stay on hold for a while, but they will get the ball rolling for you!

Devon Martin 13-09-2009, 11:30

I’m glad to see this info regarding the Magic Jack. I have one and I love it. Regarding the people who state that people can’t call them from local lines, or even that calls wouldn’t come in; I was wondering if possibly they had the problem I had at first where I could make calls out, but could not call in to my Magic Jack. In my situation I later realized that the call was showing on the Magic Jack screen, but I wasn’t hearing any ring so I didn’t know about it until I saw a message. I found that my phone was not compatible with Magic Jack as far as the ring went. It worked, but it never rang. I noticed several mentions of people having a Uniden Dect 6.0 phone that worked and I got an inexpensive one and still had the same problem, but then saw a post that some computers don’t have enough power to support all of their USB ports in use (I was using the back USB, not front).It suggested purchasing a powered USB hub. I asked at Best Buy and the suggested one from Dynex that had 4 USB plug ins that connected to one of my computer USB ports but also connected to electricity to give a boost. It soved the problem and my Uniden phone did begin to ring and does work properly. My original phone still did not work as far as ringing goes. My daughter then got a Uniden phone for her laptop but did not follow directions which state to plug in the phone to charge for quite some time before plugging in the phone line. She does not get near as clear of reception as I do. She may have compromised her phone battery, but we are going to try using the USB boost with her phone and see if that helps. My computer was an older one and her laptop is newer but she has a heavy load on her USB ports also. If that does not fix her problem, then we will try my phone on her system next time I travel to her area and see if perhaps she needs to get a new battery.

One other comment, If someone is not getting as good of reception as desired make sure that you place your phone as far from your computer tower or body as possible. I originally put my phone on the glass shelf above my tower and the reception was not very clear which frustrated me. I then decided to move the phone on the other side of my monitor putting it about 2-2.5 ft away from my tower on my computer desk and the reception is perfect (unless I call my daughter who doesn’t get good reception on hers) I am glad that I did not give up too soon with my Magic Jack. I have perfect reception and there’s nothing better than not worrying about phone bills. asd

Sandy Berger 18-09-2009, 16:54

Thanks for your insights. I’m sure you have helped a lot of people.

Ravindranath Goswami 26-09-2009, 21:03

Thanks very much for this very informative blog. Great tips and troubleshooting for the MajicJack.

Gene 28-09-2009, 08:59
A Very Helpful site!

JohnC 01-10-2009, 12:04

Although I have some flaky problems with calls from time to time the majic jack is well worth the money. I am gonna wear that thing out calling home from Europe in a few weeks!

Jeff 22-10-2009, 20:51

Magic Jack may be handy at times, but the software will infiltrate your PC (even after it is uninstalled) & their customer service sucks!! When asking for a refund of my second year without having even used it I was not only told no, but I was disconnected twice. The value wasn’t that good.

Brandie 27-10-2009, 00:11

I just bought my MJ at Wal-Mart and I was wondering if I can call 911 on it if I should have an emergency?

Darrell 07-11-2009, 00:27

I received my Magic Jack a few days ago and I am thoroughly impressed. I can use it on my laptop without plugging in a telephone. I simply talk into my mic and the sound from the person on the other end is delivered through my speakers.
The Outlook interface is also amazing. I just click on a contact and click dial, that’s it…too easy!
I have a friend who lives in Canada and spends much of his time in Mexico. He takes his laptop and M.J. and calls home for free.

Lars Tenison 19-11-2009, 13:22

I just set up a MJ last night and tried to use it for my Series I Tivo to call out and get its daily schedule. No go. The Test Call sequence says “could not connect”. Is there just NO way to get a Tivo to work through MJ? Is this a Tivo limitation or an MJ limitation? Anyone have any other ideas about how to enable Tivo without an old POTS land line?

Deliece 23-11-2009, 14:49

Does the Magic Jack work well with TIVO?

Traveller-SZ 03-12-2009, 18:44

If you take your Magic Jack with you to Costa Rica can you make local (within Costa Rica) calls and if so do you need to dial access and country code for Costa Rica? What are the charges?

wayne 09-12-2009, 16:15

You would be making an international call if you are calling in costa rica. you have to have international minutes which you can purchase. might be easier and cheaper to use a mobile phone there (or in any foreign country).

I use magic jack to make international calls and their rates are ok…

hesham 18-12-2009, 18:09

Do you still have to have your contract or pay your local land line company for local phone service or you can cancel this and just have the DSL or cable for internet sevice

April 23-12-2009, 16:33

can you get call waiting remove if you want?

Wilco 04-01-2010, 18:50

I have recently ordered two magicjacks. Will I be able to use them with cell phone.

Bohica 05-01-2010, 13:57

seems you website was the latest about the magicjack….all the others were old….maybe you were able to test/comment on an upgraded version….so, how was the connection using the magicjack across country?

Patricia 10-01-2010, 04:42

Hello I live in Germany at the moment. I was wondering will the MagicJack work for me here. I am all into saving money as like a lot of other people.

Gilberto 09-02-2010, 02:38

Hi Patricia,
MJ will work anywhere in the world if you have a computer connected to the internet.
Just plug it to the usb port like you would plug a pen drive and at the other end plug
a standard us phone. A German connector will not work. You would need an adapter German jack to US jack.

Freda 13-02-2010, 12:25

Everything works well with MJ, but can’t get a ringtone for incoming calls. Any suggestions?

Val 16-02-2010, 14:00

My son is trying to set up his MJ. The phone part working good. I know everyone says the faxing is iffy – but a lot of people are saying they can send/rec just fine. He can receive my faxes but I cannot receive his. It says “Connecting” and then “Failed to Connect”. He has turned off the error correction and set the speed to slow. If he’s receiving them but not able to send – anyone have any ideas? Do you think the Dynex Power USP Booster thing people have mentioned might help?

Sara 20-02-2010, 20:24

I am having one problem with my MJ. I have set up my account but my caller ID screen says check telephone line. I looked on the help website and it said to unplug the phone line and to dial a number with the soft pad on the screen and if that works then I need a different phone. I am not sure what brand of phone to buy.

Marie 27-02-2010, 15:58

I install mj on my laptop now…now it has crashed. i tried to use it on my desk top but it stopped. what can i do to use it? or so i have to buy another one?

sal 09-03-2010, 16:55

do u know how to turnoff disable voicemail? or turnoff disable call waiting? i want calls to come in but only one at a time. and i don’t want them to go to voicemail.

please email back please

Amgad kamel 27-03-2010, 18:50

I am considering buying a magic Jack.Regarding the phone to be connected to it for dialling is there a recommended specifications for that phone for getting the best performance?

Amgad kamel 27-03-2010, 18:53

I am considering buying a Magic Jack only thing I am asking about the phone to be connected to the device, is there any special specifications required in that phone for best performance?

Sandy Berger 29-03-2010, 16:41

There are no specification that I know of. I have used everything from a very old phone to a new digital phone and they all worked. Hope this helps.

rick 01-04-2010, 17:49

Magic Jack is old school. check out to Launch Free International Calling Across Multiple Platforms an interactive multi-platform based free nationwide and international calling service provider is planning on launching it’s beta product in the coming months and is actively seeking users to test its service across various platforms including the web, smart phone platforms including iPhone & Android.

Ross 10-04-2010, 22:40

To the person that mentioned you need to have your PC turned on to receive calls, that is not the case. I sometimes do not turn my PC on for several days. To bypass this, enter your MJ account, and set up call forwarding. I forward my MJ number to my mobile so that all calls to my MJ get forwarded to my mobile. The neat thing is that any incoming calls on your mobile will not display your MJ number but the actual number of the person calling. If you don’t answer the call it goes into your mobile voicemail. Great for when traveling and expecting a call you don’t want to miss.

Lester Drew 03-05-2010, 22:00

Will the local phone companies list my Magic-Jack number in the telephone

jsherk 11-05-2010, 11:58

I recommend Call Centric if you need to “Keep Your Number” for incoming calls and then use your MagicJack for outgoing calls:

Mark Apple 23-05-2010, 08:28

I agree completely, nice to see this. The device is small and reliable.To use it you simply turn on your computer, attach any regular telephone with a regular telephone cable, and plug the magicJack into the USB port on your computer. The computer automatically recognizes the magicJack and sets it up for you..

Beth 27-05-2010, 21:27

I just purchased a Magic Jack and installed in on my desk top. My question is, why does it only work when I’m logged on. I have 5 kids that each have there own account on the computer, when I log off of mine and they are logged on the phone doesn’t work. Do I need to install the MagicJack on all accounts?

Business Pages 22-06-2010, 16:32

I forrad my MJ symbol to my movable so that all calls to my MJ get forwarded to my motile. The refined action is that any entering calls on your transferrable gift not show your MJ separate but the effective figure of the somebody calling. If you don’t serve the inclination it goes into your motile voicemail. Large for when move and expecting a tendency you don’t deprivation to…

Pete 16-07-2010, 10:27

I purchased the 5 year plan for magicjack .received the unit July 13,2009
had a few minor problems .
I attempted to use july 14,2010 but it doesnot work.
(this is what i do see)
No phone number shown at top.
Your Contacts were not downloaded.
Please connect to the internet and double click here.
(another popup) Verify Your Login
Your magicjack has already been registered.
Enter your e-mail address and password to verify your existing account.
Nothing i do will work.
I am sure that used comcast e-mail and the correct password but this does not work now
and i have tryed all other e-mail adresses nothing works.
Any help with this or is magicjack just another ripoff ?

susan 18-10-2010, 16:05

If you plug the magic jack into the telephone wall jack of your home, any of your phones will work in any room if they are jacked in. I have had mine set up for over a year. you do not need a wireless phone.

Gary Montgomery 20-10-2010, 19:44

any way to share the mj drive on a home network so you can see the current call history and use the outlook auto dial addin from mulitple computers?
also, i have never been successful at getting it to start up when my computer boots… i have to log in to get it to start. because of this, i can’t let windows auto update since a restart may occurr.

Ralph 31-01-2011, 01:41

1) So, is it true you do not need a phone to talk via the magicjack? All I need is a mike and the laptop’s speakers? This will be useful in wifi networks outside.
2) I am traveling to Asia. Can I forward the assigned majicjack to an international cell phone number so i can just carry a cell phone around in the country I am in? I dont mind paying the international per min charges

Dorothy Akin 21-07-2011, 12:37

I purchased the magic jack and everything works fine. Maybe I am getting greedy, but what I want to do is to make the magic jack my dedicated fax line and still be able to use my land line as my home phone number. ( I run a business from my home and simply need that dedicated fax line. I currently have my land line phone hooked to a wireless system so I have multiple house lines. I have the magic jack hooked to my HP office jet 6500 all in one wireless. When the fax comes in, the all in one rings and the magic jack comes up on the screen as a phone call. Why cant I get the all in one to answer the fax? DO I need to buy a DSL splitter? Do I have something hooked up in correctly? At first I had the land line hooked in to the all in one and I could send and receive faxes but I had to use the home phone number not Magic Jack. Since everyone knows the old land line number I hate to use it for the fax and the Magic JAck for the phone. Can anyone help with this?

Manjil 04-09-2011, 13:10

I want to use 1 Magicjack in 3 different computers (Window 7 Desktop, iMac & Mac pro). Because not all computers are in use (on) all the time, so i can call from different compuetr (1 at a time), which is in use (on) at that particular time. i know it is not comfortable to take the phoneset with Magic jack changing different computer.

Steve 14-11-2011, 17:11

I have 2 magic jacks and was using an HP 5610 to do my faxing. Everything was working fine. All of a sudden I am not able to fax. Can you help me correct the problem.