Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Remove Pup

Remove Pup 1 year 4 months ago #8516

My malware scan found a pup virus.
It was labeled PUP.Optional.WeCare.A
How do I remove this for good?
I restored and restarted my computer but it did not go away.
I ran scan again and it is still here.
Thanks
Satellite L775D-S7340
Canon Printer MX 310
Greeting Card Factory Deluxe
Microsoft Word
Adobe
Windows 7 Home Premium OA
AMD Quad-Core A6-3400M Accelerated Processor (1.4GHz)
6GB installed memory
640GB hard drive
Blu-Ray Disc® (BD-ROM)
Multimedia drive
Others list tis to long to add rest
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Remove Pup 1 year 4 months ago #8517

• bigtoe
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 22
As a suggestion, do not use "System Restore" for any type of malware/virus problem as that can make it extremely difficult to find and remove components of malware.... SR does not remove programs, it can only restore a very few system registry items if used in a very short time period... such as within a couple of hours of installing a defective windows update, for example... It only works on very few system files... it is not a "magic potent" as many people are lead to believe... Using it any more on this problem will make it impossible to clean your machine and may require a full wipe of your system and re-installation of operating system and all files and updates.

What anti malware program did you use? Did it give you the opportunity to quarantine the file or to remove the file? Malwarebytes Anti Malware (MBA-M) and Spybot S&D are a couple of free programs you could download from www.filehippo.com or www.majorgeeks.com web sites and you won't get any additional garbage files/toolbars/crapware along with the programs like so many sites try to stick you with.... like download.com and other sites will stick you with....

You can run both of them, preferably starting with MBA-M, to try to find the parts of the malware and remove it.

I really would suggest going to a site like "Bleeping Computer", registering at the free site, and following the cleaning steps in their forum would be quite beneficial to you. The use of System Restore is going to make it difficult to do a full cleaning of your system... That superb forum is designed just for infected computers and folks helping to restore them to a clean state again. web address is Bleeping Computer dot com forumBleeping Computer dot com forum . You can register and quickly get assistance on the needed steps to clean your computer. Once there and starting the clean process, be sure not to use the computer for anything else... a lot of time it helps if you could have a second computer nearby to get directions and then proceed on the infected computer, but you can also use the infected computer as long as you can get on the internet, again just do nothing else with it except the steps to clean it... that is critical.

Another superb forum is World Start dot com (World Start forum... World Start forum... ) which has several great helpers to clean infected machines... it just seems to take a bit to have your registration accepted at the site, and having to wait a couple days is sometimes difficult for folks to do... not always that slow, the admins sometimes are extremely prompt to register new members but they do some background checking and that has prevented malware and spammers from getting to register and spread their junk on the site....

But you will need to use several programs, in specific order, and steps so getting direct assistance at a forum like "bleeping computer" which also has most of the needed freeware programs on the site to use when directed to specifically use them to properly clean thoroughly. Please follow the steps given by their experienced volunteers and don't try to do it yourself without advice as you could end up with a boat anchor for a computer....

Wishing good luck and safe computing. Let us know how you do.... BT

***EDIT*** This site will give you an idea of the steps in removing a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Program) or browser re-direct malware from your computer, so you will be prepared: remove browser redirect viruses ; steps and programs neededremove browser redirect viruses ; steps and programs needed
Simply, Have FUN ... Happy 'Putering. Win7 SP1, AT&T FIOS DSL, 2Wire WiFi modem/router, IE 11, FireFox 33.1 & Chrome browsers, Disconnect add-on, CCleaner, SpywareBlaster, Bit Defender Free AV, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (MBA-M), SuperAntiSpyware (SAS), Win7 Firewall
Last Edit: 1 year 4 months ago by bigtoe.

Remove Pup 1 year 4 months ago #8518

Thanks for all the information. Got problem solved.
Satellite L775D-S7340
Canon Printer MX 310
Microsoft Word
Adobe
6GB installed memory
640GB hard drive
Blu-Ray Disc® (BD-ROM)
Multimedia drive

Remove Pup 1 year 4 months ago #8519

• bigtoe
  • Platinum Boarder
You're welcome.... giving us an idea of what you did would be quite helpful to all who might find this during a search for a similar problem on their computer, if you have a few spare moments... Thanks..

That being said, one free program that really should be mandatory on all web connected computers is "Spyware Blaster", which is actually one word "spywareblaster" from the folks at Brightfort.... it prevents a ton of spyware and malware, and most importantly will block bad sites.... the free version is perfect .... Spywareblaster download from BrightfortSpywareblaster download from Brightfort ..... just download, install, check for updates and click to 'enable all' protections and then you actually close the program as it is a blocker and doesn't run in the background. just once a week or two you open it up, check for updates, enable any new ones, and reclose it. new protective files are added in clusters every couple weeks or so ... really the perfect protective program and one I would never be without... first thing I install on any new computer right after getting a good anti-virus. Keeps the majority of bad guys out and prevents us from going to known and dangerous/damaging sites....

Happy Puterin' ..... BT
Simply, Have FUN ... Happy 'Putering. Win7 SP1, AT&T FIOS DSL, 2Wire WiFi modem/router, IE 11, FireFox 33.1 & Chrome browsers, Disconnect add-on, CCleaner, SpywareBlaster, Bit Defender Free AV, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (MBA-M), SuperAntiSpyware (SAS), Win7 Firewall

Remove Pup 1 year 4 months ago #8520

• bigtoe
  • Platinum Boarder
You're welcome.... giving us an idea of what you did would be quite helpful to all who might find this during a search for a similar problem on their computer, if you have a few spare moments... Thanks..

That being said, one free program that really should be mandatory on all web connected computers is "<B>Spyware Blaster</B>", which is actually one word "<B>spywareblaster</B>" from the folks at Brightfort.... it prevents a ton of spyware and malware, and most importantly will block bad sites.... the free version is perfect .... Spywareblaster download from BrightfortSpywareblaster download from Brightfort ..... just download, install, check for updates and click to 'enable all' protections and then you actually close the program as it is a blocker and doesn't run in the background. just once a week or two you open it up, check for updates, enable any new ones, and reclose it. new protective files are added in clusters every couple weeks or so ... really the perfect protective program and one I would never be without... first thing I install on any new computer right after getting a good anti-virus. Keeps the majority of bad guys out and prevents us from going to known and dangerous/damaging sites....

Happy Puterin' ..... BT
Last Edit: 1 year 4 months ago by bigtoe.

Remove Pup 1 year 4 months ago #8521

I called my computer person, he helped me find the hidden files. Then we deleted them. Backup computer people or computer doctor might help. That is about the only tip. I would of had trouble deleting files myself too hard.
Satellite L775D-S7340
Canon Printer MX 310
Microsoft Word
Adobe
6GB installed memory
640GB hard drive
Blu-Ray Disc® (BD-ROM)
Multimedia drive
  • Page:
Moderators: dave
Time to create page: 0.202 seconds